Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Good Thing!

Last night, as we were enjoying a glass of Left Bank (a blend from South Africa, and one I have been wanting to try), Maurena suggested I start a wine blog. Not that I am a wine expert, or even a buff, but I am a wine drinker, and I can string a sentence together. These should at least be the minimum qualifications for writing about wine, right?

I enjoy a variety of wines, and try not to be a "wine snob", although starting this blog might make me one. I also like to try new wines, well, new to me. To this end, there is no "quick run to the liquor store" for me. I may intend to run in and grab a bottle of rum, or a tried and true Pinot Noir for dinner, but I always end up browsing the aisles, reading the labels, looking for good buys, and new wine experiences.

Since I am now the proud owner of a wine journal, which arrived with a pocket journal, I will also attempt to note, while at the liquor store, the rating, description and price of wines I blog about. Please forgive me in advance if I forget, as that does appear to be one of my traits, forgetfulness!

I hope you enjoy reading, and I truly hope you go out and try some of these wines. Future posts will include the following:

Pillar Box Red, Australia
Fume Blanc, California, USA
Mouton Cadet, Bordeaux, France
Concannon Merlot, California, USA
Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile
Concannon Petit Syrah, California, USA
Silver Birch Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, NZ

How can I make such grand promises? Well, those are the wines that currently reside in my fabulous wine rack, custom built for me by my ever loving, ever forgiving, and completely patient boyfriend Tony.

I cannot make any promises about my descriptive abilities, as my expertize for wine tasting is sorely lacking. Please don't look for words like "bouquet", or "aroma". I will probably use much simpler terms such as "taste" and "smell". Indeed, if a wine were to smell like old socks, I would be sure to tell you, in clear and simple language. Yes, this is a wine blog for the everyday wine drinker. You know who you are - grab a cheap bottle of red, and drink it while enjoying a steak fresh of the grill, after slogging your heart out at work all day.

I can promise that I will tell you what I drank it with (dry, mature cheeses, and red meat feature prominently in my diet), along with telling you if, in my humble opinion, it accompanied the food well. But lets be honest, my palate is hardly delicate, so it could well be that all reds go well with red meats, and all whites go well with white meat and fish.

Oh, one other thing of note, I might throw in the odd beer selection everynow and again, cause you can't drink wine with everything, sometimes, life demands beer!

Enjoy!

1 comment: