Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Stump Jump – 2008 – d’Arenberg, South Australia

It was the name that made me stop to take a look at the label, and I was not surprised to find it originated in Southern Australia (just Australia, to be precise). Wines from Australia are amongst the most common in liquor stores today, second only to American wines. And, whilst the names can be a little unusual (Stump Jump?), the blending of different varietals may be more traditional that you might think. This particular wine is a blend of Grenache, Shiraz & Mourvedre.


Ok, back to the name, Stump Jump. The label explains that a Stump Jump is a plough of Australian invention, designed to “jump” over Eucalyptus stumps, providing a more efficient means for a ploughshare to get their work done.

Wine Spectator gave it 90 points, and declared it a “Best Value”…we shall see!

The first sip was a surprise – a somewhat spicy, almost snappy wine – not the fruitiness I was expecting from an Australian wine. Although there is a snap, it is not tart enough to leave that sharp, tannin edge in the mouth. As I sip my second glass, I can taste how the wine has developed into a softer, fuller finish that demands attention, or at least, another sip! Tony took a sip of my second glass, and described it has having mellowed out.

This is a wine that is definitely worth buying a case of (David B – go buy me a case, I will pick it up next time I am in Cali, I think I deserve it by now!), and it would be great to see how it develops over time. OK, so, maybe not a case, but at least three bottles, one to drink now, one in six months, and another in a year.

What did we serve with it? Mustard crusted roast beef, with mushroom gravy (older versions of Better Home & Garden Cookbook will have this recipe). Make sure to cook the beef only to rare, then wrap in tinfoil, it should never be done more than medium rare (you will ruin the beef and the wine!). Serve with roast potatoes, or boiled, buttered potatoes, mustard carrots and green beans.

At $9.99 a bottle, this wine is sure to please – Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment