Sunday, May 9, 2010

Castillo de Molina - Sauvignon Blanc - Chile - 2009

As summer approaches (no matter how slowly), I have been stocking up on some whites that seem to be worth trying.  So, as we prepared for our annual Mothers Day dinner at Market Street Grill, I had quite a selection from which to make a decision, and since Sauvignon Blanc has been making a regular appearance on my shopping list of late, it should come as no surprise that I ended up choosing one.

Knowing what I was to eat made it easier, as Market Street is celebrating Alaskan Halibut, and they know how to cook it right!  I was prepared to order the same meal that I had last year, Seafood Florentine, and this wine would be the perfect companion.

Perfect, if not for the one hour wait, which brought my wine to room temperature, and the waitress who decided to pour it at room temperature.  I know, rude!  Prior to that, we had ordered delicious Hickory Smoked Salmon to keep us going, and two glasses of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, by Matua.  That particular white was overly sweet, and I absolutely do not recommend it, unless you enjoy puckering after every sip.

Even at room temperature, this white is delightful.  Slightly smokey, with some fruit, and a clean finish, that didn't linger past it's welcome.  Now, I am enjoying it chilled (the day after), with a brownie and vanilla ice cream (dessert after a fabulous Mothers Day of steak prepared by Tony). 

The wine has stood up well, crisp, fresh, clean - everything you want from a Sauvignon Blanc.  Still lightly smokey, with plenty of gooseberry to keep it interesting.  And that finish, it leaves you wanting more, and then some more. 

This is definitely a wine I could easily drink myself, the entire bottle, in one evening.  Jealously guarding each drop for myself, I want to experience it as it develops from chilled to warm temperature.  With birds singing their evening chorus in the background, I can settle in for a relaxing evening, with what will become a regular guest in our household (temporary only, wine just doesn't last long around here!).

Please accept my apologies for no photo - digital camera is dead!

Unfortunately, I did not keep the reciept, but I am pretty sure it is affordable, less than $10.  Definitely worth it, especially if you want to become more familiar with white.  This wine is sure to please.

Cheers.

1 comment: