Sunday, May 16, 2010

Concannon – Merlot – 2007


About a year ago, I found a delightful Petit Syrah by Concannon, in a great bottle. Yes, being of the female persausion, packaging is important to me. The bottle, embossed with the Concannon “logo”, had a real foil top, something you don’t find too often these days. I grabbed a bottle, we tried it, and decided that it would be our anniversary wine.


Recently, I bought a bottle of their Merlot, after enjoying the Petit Syrah so much. We opened it tonight, to drink with londron broil, roast potatoes, onion and mushrooms, and some peas. It was a simple meal, and I thought the Merlot might accompany it quite well.

This Merlot is uncomplicated, and starts out very easily. Tony finds it rather dry on the finish, not as enjoyable as the Petite Syrah (don’t worry, I have two bottles on hand, I shall blog about it soon!). That said, I really enjoy it. It is dry, and less “fruity” than some of the Shiraz & Pinot Noir we have been drinking. The label talks of blackberry and cherry, both of which I can imagine as I drink it, although I would not have come up with those analogies myself. Well, blackberry, definitely, try swishing it across your tongue, it will happen.

It is always a good idea to try other “genre’s” of wine, and this is a good choice to broaden your “mighty grape” horizon. With a price of $9.99, this proves to be a great value, although next time I think it will be better suited to a bolognese sauce.

Later in the evening, I added some Coastal cheddar (Costco) and Creminelli Barolo Handcrafted salami (www.creminelli.com). Both are delicious in their own right. The addition of the Merlot makes for a fabulous ménage a trios - most of you know I am partial to cheese and wine, but add some salami, and the experience is positively blissful.

I recommend extending your wine experience to some Merlot, and this is a must try!



Cheers.

1 comment: