Monday, April 16, 2012

The Hermit Crab

Great name, great wine!  This is a Viognier Marsanne blend from South Australia, 2009 vintage.  It really is quite amazing, and Wine Spectator gave it 90 points.  I knew nothing of that when I bought it, though, it was all about the name, how could I possibly resist?
My first bottle was enjoyed with my BFF, Nicole at The Oyster Bar (ww.gastronomyinc.com).  We had one of the specials, it was fish, and although I cannot remember what kind of fish, I do remember both of us marveling at the wine.  It was smooth, crisp without being too dry, and delivered exactly the right amount of fruit and honey in perfect combination.

That experience made me want more, so I bought two more bottles (under $15, of course!).  Tony and I shared a bottle on Saturday night with some macadamia crusted tilapia, potatoes au gratin and asparagus.  Yes, it was still amazing, although it seemed a little different from what I remembered.  Now, it came across with more citrus flavors, and the same crisp, refreshing finish. 

I won’t bore with you with too many details from the label (they discuss the vineyard more than the wine), but I will STRONGLY recommend that you run right out, NOW, and buy yourself a few bottles.  I think it’s worth at least $100 investment from your summer entertaining budget.  Your friends will thank you, however, you may want to fib & tell them it’s the last bottle, or you’ll never get rid of them!

Whether it’s a fun label, an interesting bottle or a weird name, your wine purchase is your decision...don’t take it too seriously, and enjoy the buying and drinking experience.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment