Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon – Chile - 2007

Friday night turned out to be a quiet night, and spaghetti sounded good to me. Just Megan and I in the kitchen, talking about school and making dinner. Red wine is a great conversation wine, it definitely loosens the tongue, and makes things more interesting all around.
It’s not the first time around for this wine, I have purchased it before, and it makes a great spaghetti sauce. This is not a particularly full bodied wine (a little thin in the mouth), but it does get better the longer the bottle is open, or the wine sits in the glass. It accompanies the meal nicely, and generally makes life more pleasant. It’s light and easy to drink. Although I cannot remember how much I paid (I threw out the receipt), I do know it is under $10.

On Saturday evening, we finished the bottle, with the left over spaghetti. The wine definitely improved, it seemed fuller, with a longer finish that may even be a little spicy. That fact that I wrote this while also watching “The Sixth Sense” doesn’t seem to improve my ability to focus on the wine! So, while I wish I could tell you about the fruit I tasted, which is hard for me at the best of times (it all tastes like wine!), all I can think is that the wine is keeping me warm while the movie keeps chilling me to the bone!

This is definitely not a gateway wine. If you are white wine drinker, moving into reds, I would recommend something a little fuller, smoother and frutier, like a Shiraz or a Pinot Noir. Once you’ve conquered those, and decided you are now a red wine drinker, this is a good one to try. Make some spaghetti, slosh some wine in the sauce, then drink the rest with dinner.



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment