Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Yalumba - Y Series Viognier 2008

It has been a few weeks since I drank or wrote about wine (I feel guilty if I drink without writing, what can I say, it’s my Jewish heritage!). The label says Viognier is grape variety, and I must say, the taste is rate indeed. Absolutely smashing, from the first sip, which was light on the tongue, and finished crisply. After just a few minutes sitting in the glass, a honey background develops, which complements the fruit nicely. The fruit, sort of citrusy, and yes, ending in a honey, slightly syrupy finish.


This is one of the sweetest wines I have tried in while, but please, don’t think Reisling. This is not that sweet at all. Light, crisp, with a slight sweetness, that is worthy of the salmon, wild rice and green beans that accompanied it. I was surprised at how well it joined the meal, as if it belonged there.

For those of you who say you don’t drink white because of the sweet wines you have experienced in the past, you MUST buy a bottle and at least try this. You may not want to drink it again, but I think this is an essential experience if you want to develop your wine “skills” (couldn’t think of anything better, sorry!).

And at a mere $9.99, it’s easy to say yes to this experience.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. i don't drink wine because of the pounding headache i know i'll have the next morning. any wines that won't do that????

    ReplyDelete