Friday, March 5, 2010

Wine Selection: Villa Maria – Sauvignon Blanc – 2007 – Marlborough, NZ



I realized at 5PM that I was to be all alone tonight, as Tony is having game night with the boys, and Megan is being a teenager at someone else’s house. At first I was bummed, feeling a little dejected saying to myself “I am gonna be all by myself tonight”, then it became, “Wait, I have the house all to myself tonight?”. So, I went to Harmon’s, bought some macadamia crusted tilapia, squash, red potatoes, salami and cheese. Then I headed to the liquor store for wine (the most important part of the meal), and on my way, I called my trusty sidekick, Nicole. She made her way over, having stopped to pick up her own piece of tilapia, and we settled in for a girl’s night.

With the wine chilling, we started with some Red Stripe beer, and visited about each others week, and aggravations of the work place, blah, blah, blah. After running Megan to her friend’s house, I got to preparing red potatoes, the summer squash and zucchini, and the oil for pan frying the fish (olive oil and butter). Here’s a tip – start the oven at 300 degrees, once the fish is browned on both sides, transfer to a dish and put in the oven until the veg and starch is complete.

When we were ready to eat, I poured the wine and we settled in for a fabulous meal. And, when I say fabulous, I mean Nicole prefers halibut or salmon, but she ate the tilapia just fine. I like tilapia because it is mild, firm and works with anything.

Back to the wine – the label explains it as passionfruit, lime & gooseberry with a crisp, lengthy finish. Nicole got white wine at the front (duh!), sort of buttery and smooth, with a smoky finish. And I have to say I agree, although I sort of get the gooseberry and lime, but the passionfrut is out of my range.

This is the wine that Tony and I drank with our Valentine’s Dinner (The Oak Room at Grand America), with our salad and appetizer, before the steak and halibut turned up.

I say try it, although it is more than I usually spend ($14.10 with tax), and it is not a gateway white. Once you have tried the Silver Birch, this is a great white to move forward with.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment