Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wine Selection: Silver Birch World Wines – Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, NZ



Lets cut straight to the chase with this one…if you are “green”, or “granola”, or you drive a Subaru (you know who you are!), you should run right to the liquor store and buy a few bottles of this truly fabulous white (it’s about $10). Why? Well, I will tell you why (since I am rarely shy in sharing my opinion). The label starts with “No trees were chopped down to make this wine.” It goes on to say that it never touched an oak barrel, or an oak chip. Get it? Yep, this wine is most definitely being marketed to those who care about their footprint (the carbon one, that is), and the marketing is blatant. The label on the front of the bottle has some beautiful tree trunks (sort of looks like aspens in winter), and, talking about the label, it isn’t made of paper.

Ok, all kidding aside (and I do love a laugh at the expense of the lefties and greenies), this is a great wine, and it is worth trying. Oh, and by the by, this is not just my opinion. I have recommended this to a few people, and they have expressed their enjoyment, and the fact that this wine has turned them back on to whites. Yes, this is another gateway white, but I swear, it won’t lead to Chardonnay*

I poached salmon with this, and we ate it with a box of rice pilaf (by that company that makes the San Francisco Treat), and some broccoli. Not the biggest fan of broccoli, but Tony loves it, so I make the sacrifice! The wine performed well, and is quite in line with the promises made on the label (again, no paper here) – it even promises to not be mistaken for Chardonnay. Not sure how Chardonnay got such a bad rap, but I may have to explore that over the summer.

Gooseberry – yep, it’s in there, cool and sunny – I get it. What they don’t mention is the crisp green apple, juicy and bursting in the mouth. You start to get that with the salmon, but when you follow it up with a sharp, dry cheese, it comes out in full force. If I had some green grapes, they would be on the cheese board right now.

Although the bottle is the normal 750ML size, it doesn’t seem to last very long. I start to wonder if there is a hole in the bottom of the bottle, then I wonder if Tony is gulping instead of sipping. No, no, it’s just that the wine goes down so easily, and is so refreshing, crisp and clean, which makes it so hard not to gulp it down, like ice cold water on a long, hot day.

There is a reason why the bottle is empty in this picture – I was busy cooking dinner, and by the time I thought about blogging, the wine was gone! It’s time you tried it – go get a bottle, plan a nice dinner, and try it out, you will find out why we can’t leave any in the bottle. Cheers!


*Disclaimer: this in no way represents that this blogger will not try Chardonnay, and then blog about it. Whether you drink the Chardonnay is your decision, and the blogger shall, in no way, be held liable for your like or dislike of any Chardonnay referenced herein.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of white wine... but I really loved this wine! Thank you so much for referring me to it. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete